Menu

It takes a surprisingly small amount of effort to maintain the stunning appearance of a J. Rotherham limestone fireplace.

Before cleaning your J. Rotherham fireplace, it is very important to ensure that you have the correct cleaning products available.  Where possible a specific limestone cleaner should be used.

Where a specific limestone cleaner is not available, use an alkaline based solution.

Do not use acid based cleaners as these will damage your fireplace. Limestone is a porous, sedimentary rock and using acid based cleaners will cause it to corrode over time.

Wax or spray polishes should not be used on your fireplace as these products can darken the surface and create highly visible patches that may permanently damage the natural beauty of the stone. Also avoid kitchen or bathroom cleaners, bleach, soft-scrub, ammonia sprays, lemon juice and vinegar.

The best way to clean off a mark from a J. Rotherham limestone fireplace is to use a clean, soft, cotton cloth dampened with diluted washing up liquid. Scrub the stone in a gentle circular motion rather than a forceful back and forth rub.

Do not stand glasses or mugs containing red wine, tea, coffee or other drinks directly onto the limestone as stains and ring marks may occur. If you do spill coffee or wine onto the stone surface, clean it off thoroughly and as quickly as possible in a circular motion with a damp cloth. Stains will become more difficult to remove if allowed to dry.

During the use of your heating appliance, soot can naturally occur on and around your fireplace or hearth. Use a vacuum to pick up the excess soot then take a damp cotton cloth to wipe the remaining soot away. A limestone cleaner or mild soap can be used for particularly tough spots.

Never stand vases with flowers directly on the surface as this could cause a permanent ring mark. We also recommend never to place candles directly onto the fireplace surface as this could damage or stain the stone.

Never plaster on to, or down to, a limestone fireplace or hearth as the limestone may take up the colour from the plaster which may cause permanent damage.

Logs and coal should never be set directly on top of the limestone. This can scratch the surface, whilst black rub marks and stains can also occur.

The limestone should be rinsed gently with water following use of any cleaning product, but never soaked. It is important to remember that limestone is absorbent and when it is washed it will appear darker. The stone may take a few days to dry out depending on room temperature and there is no need to panic.

Back to Top